Tuesday, October 8, 2013

social class

Alright!  So lately i've been thinking a lot about social class.  If a person grows up in a certain class, does that mean they are stuck in that class for the rest of their lives?  So many sources say, yes.  I've watched a couple videos talking about the statistics of social class and how we interact among one another and, money is such a big factor!  One of the most interesting facts that I found was that "having a father in the home is one of the biggest predictors for poverty."  Those without one are more likely to be in poverty.  This is happening more are more this day and age.  Here are some interesting statistics from my family relations class.  In the 1950's 50% of single mothers opted to keep their babies, 47% would put them up for adoption, and 1% abortion.  Are you interested to see what it was like in 2000?  50% would still keep their baby, BUT 1% would go the adoption route while a staggering 47% would terminate their pregnancy.  What does this have to do with social class?  It might seem like my topic went a little wily nilly, BUT the family structure is greatly related to your social class.   Married couples tend to have better incomes, more stability, and therefore a higher social class.  I sometimes wonder if the amount of children you have goes along with social class too? I wonder if me being an only child affects my status or not?  What do you think?  What have you experienced?

No comments:

Post a Comment