Thursday, November 21, 2013

Full Time Mothers

   Alright boys and girls, Its time to address a topic that is controversially near and dear to my heart.  Full-time motherhood.  Lets keep in mind that I am not a mother yet and I don't know everything.  This is solely based on my feelings and education on the topic both from my family relations class and personal views.  The main idea I want to talk about is from an article titled "Does a Full-Time Homemaker Swap Her Mind for a Mop?"
    I have always felt that what my major goal and or duty in life to accomplish was to get the best education possible and to have a great career in which I could provide for myself and family.  A lot of this comes from how I was raised.  In my home both my mother and father worked and this was necessary.  I know my mom would have stayed home with me all the time if circumstances would have allowed.  But since this was not so, I had an excellent...and I mean EXCELLENT work ethic instilled into my genetic code.  Some may think an only child is the spoiled little gremlin, i'm here to tell you that is not always so.  I love how I grew up and I love working hard for what I have.  My parents read books with me, did lots of arts and crafts, and were always there to help with anything educational.  They never got the opportunity to go to college so above all else they pushed for my college education which I could not be more thankful for.
   I guess I always knew being a mother was the most important role I could have, but it wasn't ever the top priority at hand because, lets face it, I wasn't married and I didn't have that perspective.  Please don't be offended by my uninformed adolescent perspective, but I always thought being "only" a stay at home mom was a waste of my education.  "I could do so much more for people, I could bring more good to the world, and be successful" I told myself.  Now I see this was a slightly selfish way of looking at things.  What was it that I still had to learn?

MOTHERS ARE DIVINE. 

What is more important than being a well informed and educated mother who is responsible for bringing up those individuals who will be in charge of the development of the world to come!  We need to know what is going on, we have to have knowledge, we simply must be the best we can be to educate our children and bring them up to be informed individuals.  They need to learn respect others and know what is and isn't appropriate to say in what times.  Children are the mirror of their parents, education trickles down into their spongey little minds.  For those educated women who work at home, more power to you, you are inspiring and you have the strength to put God's creations before your own desires and you never complain.  You love your job as a mother and you already know the good you are doing in the world because of your "sacrifice".

"So it is not only nonsense that full-time homemaking means swapping the mind for a mop. It is also nonsense that the vast majority of paid work outside the home develops the mind. One may prefer to work outside the home for many reasons: a need or desire for extra income; a need to get out of the house; a need to be admired for work beyond making a home; a need for regular interaction with other adults. But the development of the intellect is not necessarily among them."


For those women who look for it, education never ends.  It is ridiculous to look down on a woman who decides to work in the home and to call her less informed and educated.  She has some of the hardest selfless work there is.  There are so many jobs that we expect our mothers to do that they most certainly do not get paid overtime for. Us children are forever in your debt, and I hope one day when I am a mother I can truly be as selfless and wonderful as my own mom who gave me everything she had and still continues to give. 

Thanks mom :) 


2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this post. I am not a mom yet, but I am married and a full time student. Sometimes it feels like getting an education and starting a family are competing priorities, when really they compliment each other! Thank you for the reminder that the role of "stay-at-home mom" is not outdated, It is the foundation that holds society together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your so welcome! Thanks for your input :)

    ReplyDelete